Search This Blog

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Week 6: Sets, counting and subitizing

Printing numbers are always needed at this time of the year.  Proper formation is easy to teach on the smart board with this lesson.

The smart table is helping this year with the wait time at the smart board.  One child is doing the activity  on the board and the the other three are using the SMART table.  Each day I change it to a different counting activity.  I think when I rotate the table, I  will continue to put another activity at the SMART board to avoid the misbehaviors that come with waiting.
Here is the link to the Subitizing game that is down below - it is a favorite this week and I think I will place a link on my wiki page so the parents can have a copy if they would like.  The students cover the board, quickly lift the piece off for their friend to say how many dots were there, and if they are correct, they keep the square!  The one with MORE wins.  (another quick skill being taught!)
And here is another quick game I found on Heidi song blog.  I usually start this with only number 0-5.  I have the students place those numbers in order and then match the set to the number.  I will add additional numbers as the students are ready.

I made this little game.  The students simply place the correct number of dots in the ten frame.  Very much like what they are doing above and on the SMART board last week.  Here is the linkCombined sheets are here.
Now I found this game and I love it - so great and quick AND it uses a number line that I am not always very good about introducing this early. Here is the link.
Love this activity - easy, takes very little prep work and it covers several of our Common Core Skills.  I just cut a square out of poster board, used our die cuts and glued on the numbers 1 - 10.  Do not laminate because it makes the rubbing harder.   Remove the paper from the crayons and show the students how to rub using the side of the crayon ( a very hard thing for some to get!)  After they rub, I have them draw a line above, below, to the left and to the right (positional words!)  Then they show that number in 4 different ways.  (dice, tally, ten frame, fingers, objects, word, number line, etc.)
And here is a finished one.

No comments:

Post a Comment